Kanzashi Sarashiki (更識 簪, Sarashiki Kanzashi) is a 1st year student at the IS Academy in Class Four, younger sister of the Student Council President, Tatenashi Sarashiki and the IS Representative Candidate of Japan. She appears in Volume 7.
Kanzashi has blue hair and dark red eyes like her older sister. Her IS Academy uniform consist of the typical white and red blouse with two hairpins on both sides of her head (right and left) and yellow leggings. She also wears a pair of glasses.
Kanzashi is the opposite of Tatenashi. While her older sister is cheerful and talkative, she's a serious person and doesn't talk to people very much. In fact, this is because the other girls of the IS Academy don't like her because she wasn't attending classes for a long time and that maybe she has privileges because of being the Student Council President's younger sister, so the other girls have envy. It is also revealed that she likes anime and admires heros. Kanzashi is capable of restaining herself when enraged and will avoiding attacking others in anger. Her older sister was even shocked to hear that she slapped Ichika. But when she does, she becomes very violent and will attack ruthlessly and recklessly against the target of her anger.
Unlike other IS Representative Candidate or even the other personal IS pilots, Kanzashi isn't very confident in herself and can be easily intimidated by others.
- Ichika Orimura - She was asked by Ichika to be his partner during the tournament at the IS Academy (Tatenashi asked Ichika to do it). Since people usually are not nice to her, she took it as a bad joke and slapped Ichika. After that event, she started to fall for Ichika, so she finally accepted his petition. After the "Automated IS", she confessed her love to him. But due the conversation they were having, she believes that Ichika didn't understand that she meant him.
- Tatenashi Sarashiki - Her older sister. She doesn't like her older sister because she thinks she's (Tatenashi) too perfect and she feels useless compared to her. Their relationship finally improved after the fight against the "Automated IS". They started being able talk and work together without any problems.
- Honne Nohotoke - Honne is Kanzashi's personal maid and given their opposite personalities creates a energetic relationship
Infinite Stratos & AbilitiesEdit
Kanzashi is a representative candidate of Japan but without a personal IS. This is because the lab where her IS was being designed delayed the construction to built Ichika's Byakushiki instead. By that reason, Kanzashi had to customize an Uchigane provided by the IS Academy, transforming it into Uchigane Nishiki. Abilities of her IS will be updated afterwards.
Kanzashi comes from the great and prominent Sarashiki family. As a Sarashiki, she had to excel as much as she could in every aspect she could and even more. However, due to her sister, Tatenashi, being a "prodigy" in almost everything she did, Kanzashi developed and inferiority complex towards her, becoming a shy and gloomy person, secluded from everyone else, especially from her sister.
Between this and her entering the IS Academy, she was called to be a representative candidate of Japan, with a IS development company promising her of giving her a Personal IS. However, when Ichika entered the academy, the IS company started developing his IS, Byakushiki, instead, leaving Kanzashi without her Personal IS, forcing her to customize her own using a Uchigane from the IS Academy, which became Uchigane Nishiki in the future. From this point she started having a grudge against Ichika.
When Kanzashi entered the academy, she was seen as a bother by the other girls, since they thought her absence during all that time was justified and without a punishment just because her sister was the Student Council President, making her even more lonely than she was (with the exception of the Nohotoke sisters, since they are childhood friends with the Sarashikis). A time after that, the Tag Team Tournament was going to be held on the academy, so Ichika, as a favor to Tatenashi, decided to pair with Kanzashi. She refused at first, even though Ichika tried really hard, but eventually his kindness touched her heart and she decided to pair with him (although she didn't mean it 100% percent, since she confused a daydream with the reality). She eventually fell in love with Ichika.
After finalizing customizing the Uchigane Nishiki (thanks to Ichika's data, which was actually Tatenashi's Mysterious Lady's), Kanzashi and Ichika were going to have their first match against Houki and Tatenashi, but an unexpected event, the arrival of 5 unmanned Golem III IS, cancelled the tournament. At first frightened of fighting, she found her resolve to fight and ultimately destroy the Golems after Tatenashi's scrificed herself to save her sister.
After the incident, she and Tatenashi were able to reconcile.
In Volume 8 and episode 10, it seems that she has officially joined Ichika's harem. While scared by them at first, they start getting along with each well recognize her as another rival.
Kanzashi first appear trying to work on her IS but with no success. She decides to call it a day and go back to her room to watch anime. With the up incoming Tag Team Tournament, Kanzahsi is still trying to finsh customizing her IS when Ichika comes in to her class. Although she want to punch him (for indirectly preventing her from getting her Personal IS) she restained herself. Ichika then asks Kanzashi to be his partner for the Tag Team Tourament (doing a favor for Tatenashi) which she coldly rejects.
Still trying to customize her IS with no success, she start blaming Ichika for it. As Kanzashi leaves she meets Ichika outside, who keeps asking her to pair with him. Becoming more annoyed, Kanzashi asks Ichika why he wants to pair with her. Avoiding telling Kanzashi that Tatenashi asked him to do it, Ichika says he wants to see her IS which causes her to slap him. While watching some anime in her room, she questions herself why she slapped him.
Later, Kanzashi decides to try a test flight with the Uchigane Nishiki. During the test flight, her IS malfunctions mid flight. But before she crashes, Ichika catchs her. Despite getting hurt, Ichika is happy that Kanzashi is uninjured and doesn't blame her afterward. After filling a report, the two go get something to eat. Eventually, Kanzashi accepts Ichika's request to pair with him, well in a confused state of mind.
The two started working on completing the Uchigane Nishiki with the help of the maintenance club. During which she fell in love with Ichika and wanted to bring him sweets. But as she arrives at room 1025, she sees Ichika and Tatenashi talking. Realizing that it was all her older sister plan, Kanzashi runs back to her room to cry.
On the day of the Tag Team Tournament, 5 unmanned Golem lll IS attack. When one of them finds a scared Kanzashi and reachs out for her, she calls out for Ichika to come save her. Appearing in time to stop the IS, Ichika tells Kanzashi to summon her IS. While the unmanned IS start gaining the advantage over the two along with Tatenashi and Houki, Kanzashi starts giving up but is encouraged by Tatenashi and Ichika to keep fighting and they manage to destroy the unmanned IS.
After the incident, Kanzashi finally fixes her relationship with Tatenashi. Later she goes to confess to Ichika her feelings for him. Much to her embarrassment, she believes that Ichika only thinks that she meant she loves anime.
The other girls of Ichika harem later question Kanzashi if she was in a relationship with Ichika. Being scared by them she tells them that she isn't but does want to. Calming down, the other girl start being more nicer to Kanzashi and they start getting along with each other.
Her quotes will be updated when available.
- Kanzashi's name means "hairpin" (kanzashi, 簪). This is probably because of her weird-looking hairpins.
- She has a similar appearance to Yuto Sakurai
- Ironically, the type of anime and manga that she likes is similar to Infinite Stratos. In the light novel, Kanzashi gives Ichika some mangas she likes which involves robots (the IS), teenage love (Ichika's harem) and heroes (Ichika, who protects others).
- Kanzashi is the second girl to confess her love to Ichika, the first being Houki. Interestingly, Ichika didn't repond to either of their confesstions due to different reasons (Houki's was too quiet, Kanzashi's was misunderstood).
- Interestingly, both of them are quite similar as noted by Ichika: both have a older sister that are well known for being outstanding genius that love and support them, but they (Kanzashi and Houki) felt inferiority to them (Tatenashi and Tabane respectfully) and started to distance themselves from that person as a result. Their older sisters also have similar personalities: cheerful, talkative, somewhat lecherous, prideful.